Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Escaping the Grind by Jumping Into the Grinder

I've been hearing lately that the economy is starting to "turn around." That companies and people were starting feel good about spending money again. About creating new jobs again.

What I'm seeing, however, is something entirely different. I've been watching homes in my neighborhood become increasingly more empty, as people as moving to cheaper areas. I've been noticing that companies are re-airing commericals, presumably to save money. First, it was Wal-Mart's Madden commercial - update just enough to replace Madden '09 with Madden '10. Moreover, I've spotted a Folgers commercial that has gone competely unchanged since it originally aired in 1996 or so. I've seen literally dozens of people a week wandering into stores I frequent, looking for jobs that simple don't exist. I've watched my own rent cost bottom out, and I can only assume that my landlord recognizes that there are a half dozen houses within 3 blocks that will rent out the same amount of space for a lower cost.

When all is said and done, I'm seeing a lot of indicators that this economic fiasco isn't anywhere near over yet.

But, there's another aspect to poor economies that most people fail to consider. Poor economies tend to create good opportunities. Position yourself somewhere new, and when things actually do turn around, you may well find yourself in a completely different career than before.

That, my friends, is my overall goal, and the focus of this blog. I've decided to make a shift from the tedium of the everyday job - the ubiquitous 9 - 5 gig. I'm going to use this blog as a medium to chart and chronicle my journey toward personal and professional independence through freelance writing.

What exactly will wind up on this blog, I can't quite fathom. Anecdotes, news stories, rants, and probably everything else in between. I hope I can inspire both you and me to reach out for something a little different in our lives, combining what we want with what we need rather than maintaining a separation. Failing that, I hope I can at least provide some levity and a few good chuckles or thought provoking topics along the way.

I'll leave today's post with a question. Feel free to comment with your response.

Do you still close the bathroom door when you're the only home? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment