Tuesday, September 8, 2009

De-Cluttering to Expose the Simple Joys

I’m a gatherer.

I collect and store and keep and save almost everything.

I’ve got a closest full of cards from defunct games that I’ll never play again. Video games that won’t ever light up another console pack a storage chest in my front room. Books I’ve read a dozen times are crammed between bookends on my coffee tables. I’m actually beginning to think that I’m running out of space to store things.

And you know what?

I don’t need most of it.

Here’s what I need: to start going through all this junk and start trashing the worthless crap, and cataloguing the decent stuff for sale.

I was a bit bored last night, so I started de-cluttering by emptying out a closet in my game room. What I found was a whole lot of new storage space, and what turned into an evening of fun. I uncovered Bree’s old collection of LEGOs from her childhood. We busted it out and went LEGO crazy… building a LEGO boat… and a LEGO research station… and all that other good stuff.

It was good, old fashioned, thoroughly entertaining fun. Exactly what we both need to get our minds off some of the menial stresses of the weekend. And we’ll probably do it again another night when we just need to unwind.

Take 10 minutes today… clear out drawer, or closet, or a crawlspace… see what you find. Make you can use it to make a couple bucks on ebay to spring for a nice day out, or maybe you’ll just find something good and wholesome to play with and recapture just a little bit of your childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment