Friday, September 25, 2009

Moving Up and Moving Out

It's funny how things can change in a day...

Word spread like wildfire that I was eyeballing the store's inventory and looking to start my own location. Several regulars who have come to like me more than the current owner have pledged their support to my goal, and a number of the wargaming regulars showed up in the shop yesterday with the sole intention of helping me conduct my inventory. Thanks to this extra help, I've done as much of the inventory as I needed to do to confirm that, yes, this is probably a smart option.

Steady work will not be an issue, as I'll be running the store full-time (likely 55+ hours a week MINIMUM!). I should be able to keep most or all of the existing regular customers if I can negotiate a favorable lease in the same location (and given that 2 stores in this plaza have been empty for over 2 years, I think I can get this spot for a fair bit less than the current store is paying for it). And, most importantly, I'll own a business - something I can take a stab at making my life's work.

Moreover, Bree and I want to do this.

The wildcard now is the asking price. One of the store owners laid out the initial price for the inventory... but I don't think he went over it with the other store owner (his wife). The bad news - this means they may try to ask for more... the good news: she's more desperate to walk away from the shop than he is... so this could pan out. I should know by Tuesday-ish.

That said, it's not all sunshine and lollipops. Apparently, my landlord is losing the house Bree and I are renting. So over the next few months, we need to be looking for a new place to live. Of course, if we're going to buy the store and stay in the area we can just lok for something near our new business... but we need to make sure our deal goes through first.

New home... new business... at a time when I felt the need to just throw out everything from my old life and start over... looks like I'll get my chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment