Saturday, January 12, 2013

Little Victories - Days 10, 11, and 12

No.  I haven't given up on my New Year's Resolution.

In fact, not posting for 3 days fell into my little victories.

Allow me to explain.

DAY 10

I gave a friend a nudge in an uncomfortable, but ultimately good direction.

Don't want to say too much here, being an issue of a personal nature, but suffice to say, my friend was engulfed in relationshipial consumption (oh - does making up a word count as a victory?).

Again, without saying to much, I pushed him to confront his situation.  Sure, the endgame wasn't fantastic... but it needed to be done.

It was a good thing.

DAY 11

At the end of Day 10, I was exhausted.  Indeed, I didn't even get into bed until well past midnight.  A rarity these days, to be sure.  With my schedule, you don't want to be up that late.  As a result, I was tired on Friday.  I then proceeded to work 11 hours, and tacked on an extra two hours picking up parts for the following day's business.  I got home wiped out.

And my little victory?

I finally listened to myself.  I was tired, so I went to bed.  Early.  Quite early by my standards.  This is my usual MO.  Normally, I get tired.  Or sick.  Or hungry.  Or injured.  And I ignore it.  I continue with my life and do whatever it is I was out to do.  But not last night.  I gave in.  I slept.  And it was good.

DAY 12

This one is going to sound pretty stupid, but remember - it's a little victory.  The whole point is to be something small.  Something most people might shrug off as insignificant.  Something I might not have otherwise done.

So what did I do?

I was walking up the pathway to my condo, and I saw a Wal-Mart receipt on the ground.  I saw the same receipt this morning.  And last night.  And I ignored it twice.

But not tonight.

I picked it up.

Little victories.  353 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment