Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things…DAY 2


DAY 2 : THE DRIVE HOME

I leave for work at 6 AM every morning.  Before the sun comes up.  9 days out of 10, I come home more than 12 hours later, well after the sun has set.  That means I live, quite literally, in the dark.  I occasionally see the sun on my days off (I see it at work, too… but work sun is different from non-work sun apparently).
Incidentally, that sort of scheduling means I don’t have time for normal daytime people things.  Like banking in a real bank (not that I ever really did that when I did work reasonable hours… it would just be nice to know I could if I wanted to).

Add in the fact that I spend most of my days getting yelled at by customer who don’t know what they’re even yelling about, and when they aren’t yelling at me, one of my teammates is doing something so stupid that I have to yell at them.   Cap that off with a healthy dose of my superiors yelling at me (next week, for example, will be a doozy – my personal sales suck this week because I’ve been engrossed in doing yearly performance evaluations and I just know I’m going to hear about that next week), and I often leave work more stressed out and riled up that a T-Rex dosing on meth and Surge.

Which is why the drive home is the second installment on my list of favorite things.

I live in Sarasota.

I work in Apollo Beach.

This looks nothing like either of those places.  Except the road.  I guess those look the same anywhere.


In normal traffic, I can expect that trip to take roughly 45 minutes.  And I enjoy every second of it.  A chance to drive fast, crank up the radio, and wind down.

There’s nothing quite like the piece that comes from a glorious detached limbo.  A separation from work stress and home-based chores.  A good chance to recharge my batteries so by the time I get home, I’m neither angry nor frustrated (or, at least, I can minimize those feelings instead of feeling the need to club a baby seal).

The drive home, thank you for letting me keep my home and work lives separate.  I salute you as one of my 29 favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment